Stop Sort Title field populating

Added by jmccl069 about 1 year ago

Can anyone help with stopping the Sort Title field populating when fetching TV Episode data?

It populates with the Episode Name which in turn alters the sorting when viewed in Emby WMC so that the episodes do not appear in order.

I have just installed Windows 10 & reinstalled Metabrowser. The previous install (Windows 7) did not populate Sort Title. Is it a recent change with the data or am I missing a setting in Metabrowser?

Thanks.

Replies (48)

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by Aussiedroid@gmail.com about 1 month ago

Interesting. I don't think I have ever had it setup to automatically grab the data (not sure how to tbh). I always press the Fetch or right click and process season or series as needed.

Thanks for your help trying to get to the bottom of this. Its been driving me crazy!!

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by dansblackcat about 1 month ago

Go to settings and under the "General" tab there are settings in the "folder Monitoring" section called "Fetch metadata when new media is detected" and "Real time monitoring"
I have both of these checked.
I just drop a new episode in the folder and Metabrowser does the rest. Also works for movies.

I also use the right click method but don't get the sort title populated.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by ulrick65 about 1 month ago

Looks like fatal is back and has corrected this issue and will release and update. You can see his post in the discussion forum. For the record, I was able to duplicate it by using the "Fetch" button...but I was then able to delete it before saving.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by dansblackcat about 1 month ago

No matter what I do or what settings I use, my 'sort title" gets populated for TV episodes now. Very annoying

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by AdrianW about 1 month ago

I just noticed that Metabrowser has started populating Sort Title on episodes. Which may be causing me issues with "Next Up" in Emby.

There doesn't appear to be a way to stop Sort Title from being populated - and once it is populated it is impossible to clear (other than by manually editing the xml).

Also, "Sort Title" does not appear in the list of fields in the drop list for "Filter" - so I can't search for all episode where "Sort Title" is populated. (There is a "Sort Name" field, but that's not the same field).

I tried unchecking "Sort Title" from Settings / TV / Fetchers / Fetch fields (episode) - but it still gets populated, It seems like it's the MediaBrowser saver that's populating the field, rather than a fetcher.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by AdrianW 25 days ago

I ended up writing a small piece of code that clears the SortTitle field via the Post Processing plugin - this has fixed my issue (Next Up in Emby is now working properly).

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by ulrick65 25 days ago

AdrianW wrote:

I ended up writing a small piece of code that clears the SortTitle field via the Post Processing plugin - this has fixed my issue (Next Up in Emby is now working properly).

Would you be willing to share it? Before the update mine was working OK...but now it isn't, I end up with a sort title in any episode that I manually process.

I would love to have your script and give it a whirl. I have not done any manual post processing before, but I am versed in scripting, etc. so could probably adapt it.

Thanks.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by AdrianW 25 days ago

It's a C# program - I'm more comfortable with that than with scripting.

Here's a copy of the exe: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofsydcfd406d40e/SortTitleRemover.exe?dl=0

Drop that in a folder somewhere and then configure it in MetaBrowser / Settings / Global Plugins / Post Processing:

Application = PathToExe
Command Line = "%path" "%file" PathToLogFile

Note: quotes required around %path and %file. Also around PathToExe and PathToLogFile (if they contain spaces). If you don't want a log file then leave that blank.

e.g. Application = C:\Utils\SortTitleRemover\SortTitleRemover.exe
Command Line = "%path" "%file" C:\Utils\SortTitleRemover\log.txt

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by ulrick65 25 days ago

AdrianW wrote:

It's a C# program - I'm more comfortable with that than with scripting.

Here's a copy of the exe: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofsydcfd406d40e/SortTitleRemover.exe?dl=0

Drop that in a folder somewhere and then configure it in MetaBrowser / Settings / Global Plugins / Post Processing:

Application = PathToExe
Command Line = "%path" "%file" PathToLogFile

Note: quotes required around %path and %file. Also around PathToExe and PathToLogFile (if they contain spaces). If you don't want a log file then leave that blank.

e.g. Application = C:UtilsSortTitleRemoverSortTitleRemover.exe
Command Line = "%path" "%file" C:UtilsSortTitleRemoverlog.txt

Awesome...thanks very much! This will get us by until Emby makes a change to the Next Up and ignores sort order...if it happens.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by fatal 25 days ago

Hey,

This should work the same for episodes as it does for movies...just uncheck "Sort Title" in the "Update Fields" dropdown in the main ribbon (for manual fetching) or by going to Settings -> TV -> Fetchers and unchecking "Sort Title" for each fetcher.

I think I sent out an update to the XBMC plugin as well when metabrowser was updated, if not, I have pushed it again just to be sure.

Let me know if not working as expected.

Take Care

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by fatal 25 days ago

To add,

Please ensure that XBMC is set as your primary local for TV, as the mediabrowser saver (which saves the xml), works differently.

Take Care

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by dansblackcat 24 days ago

I'm still getting the sort title populated every time regardless of the settings I use.

I don't really see a reason why there even needs to be a "sort title" for TV episodes. They're almost always sorted by Season and episode numbers S02E05 etc.

Also If the sort title has already been populated and saved you cant remove it without manually editing the .xml file. If you delete in in metabrowser and save it, it will just reappear.

Edit: I've got it now that when I fetch data the 'sort title field stays blank. However if I click on a different episode and then go back to the original episode the field is now populated.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by fatal 24 days ago

If you delete in in metabrowser and save it, it will just reappear.

Is XBMC the primary saver and primary local for TV? Please set them both as your primary and let me know, it should not be behaving like what you have said above.

Also, please update the plugin using auto-upate, i'm pretty sure it was pushed when metabrowser was updated, but I'm re-pushing it just incase.

Let me know.

Take Care

Ah I only ever used the mediabrowser saver, that would be my problem.
I've set up the XBMC saver now and it seems to be working as it should be.

Looks like it's going to take awhile to scan all my media. I'll report back if I see any issues

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by AdrianW 24 days ago

So, are we supposed to be using the XBMC saver instead of the MediaBrowser saver? I never knew that, and I've been using metabrowser with Emby without issues until a couple of weeks ago.

According to the last post in this thread moving from xml to nfo will be incredibly painful as the image file names are totally different.

So, I'd prefer to save with the mediabrowser xml saver.

fatal wrote:

This should work the same for episodes as it does for movies...just uncheck "Sort Title" in the "Update Fields" dropdown in the main ribbon (for manual fetching) or by going to Settings -> TV -> Fetchers and unchecking "Sort Title" for each fetcher.

I have "Sort Title" unchecked in all those places - but Sort Title still gets populated. It's probably happening in the MediaBrowser saver.

ulrick65 wrote:

Awesome...thanks very much! This will get us by until Emby makes a change to the Next Up and ignores sort order...if it happens.

Don't forget to use Emby's Metadata Manager to clear any Sort Title fields that may still be set. Emby won't clear them, even when the xml file is updated to remove Sort Title! I even tried leaving the Sort Title element in the xml but leaving the content blank, Emby still won't clear a previously set field. It seems Luke doesn't want to change that for some reason.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by ulrick65 24 days ago

fatal wrote:

If you delete in in metabrowser and save it, it will just reappear.

Is XBMC the primary saver and primary local for TV? Please set them both as your primary and let me know, it should not be behaving like what you have said above.

Also, please update the plugin using auto-upate, i'm pretty sure it was pushed when metabrowser was updated, but I'm re-pushing it just incase.

Let me know.

Take Care

Why do we need to use XBMC saver fatal? I have never used that. I use the xml files, not nfo... AdrianW is the same I believe. Have never had any issues before. I suspect that the problem is with the Mediabrowser plugin then (but that is the one I need) so can it be fixed?

Thanks.

I think I'm going bite the bullet and make the switch from .xml to .nfo.
Probably be easier in the long run with Emby if I do. "XML is a legacy format now and the Emby team is no longer actively developing for it".

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by fatal 24 days ago

Hey,

"XML is a legacy format now and the Emby team is no longer actively developing for it".

Dunno where you got that quote from, but that is my understanding as well, everyone should be using the xbmc/kodi plugin for mediabrowser as there should be full support for it.

Take Care

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by dansblackcat 23 days ago

Hi Fatal

Thanks for clarifying that it's probably best to be using the XBMC plug-in

I got the quote from the Emby forums. (pic attached)

emby.jpg (44.6 kB)

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by ulrick65 23 days ago

fatal wrote:

Hey,

"XML is a legacy format now and the Emby team is no longer actively developing for it".

Dunno where you got that quote from, but that is my understanding as well, everyone should be using the xbmc/kodi plugin for mediabrowser as there should be full support for it.

Take Care

fatal, can you please correct the sort issue in the mediabrowser plugin as well...it is still needed by a lot of us who still use .xml files.

It is still supported through the xml plug in for Emby...just because they are not developing for it anymore doesn't mean it doesn't work. For folks like me (and others here) switching is not that easy...that is why Emby still has the plug in and it works fine. I have a very detailed library, with all art, data, etc. stored locally with the files. I have just about 14,000 media files now in my library across multiple servers and with custom scripts that do my cataloging, back up of metadata, etc. Simply switching to .nfo style is not a simple task. It is something I plan to do and am working on a script to help with the conversion, but it wont be quick.

Fixing this sort issue would be very helpful.

Thanks.

RE: Stop Sort Title field populating - Added by AdrianW 23 days ago

ulrick65 wrote:

It is still supported through the xml plug in for Emby...just because they are not developing for it anymore doesn't mean it doesn't work. For folks like me (and others here) switching is not that easy...that is why Emby still has the plug in and it works fine. I have a very detailed library, with all art, data, etc. stored locally with the files. I have just about 14,000 media files now in my library across multiple servers and with custom scripts that do my cataloging, back up of metadata, etc. Simply switching to .nfo style is not a simple task. It is something I plan to do and am working on a script to help with the conversion, but it wont be quick.

Fixing this sort issue would be very helpful.

Yes, I agree as I'm in the same situation.

I think the only issue is that the MediaBrowser Saver plugin (MediaBrowser.dll which changed around the Jan 15th) is populating SortTitle when it's empty on screen. Everything else works fine, and has been for years.

« Previous 1 2 (26-48/48)