Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED

Added by Toxicman 2 months ago

This application is done. No support for a few years now and much of the metadata is no longer fulling in by the standard fetchers. So for those looking for a solution, check out tinyMediaManager! A great full featured alternative.

Replies (33)

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by ulrick65 2 months ago

Unfortunately you are right. Man...I really like this program. It is one of very very few programs that I was willing to pay every year for...

Will check out the one you mentioned...

Thanks.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by ulrick65 2 months ago

As a side note...I sure hope that nothing major happened to Fatal. Hopefully he just decided it was time to pack it in...I can respect that.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by Toxicman 2 months ago

agree. I've used TMM and EMBER and always came back to this app. Too bad. Wish we could get this source code and move it over to an opensource project. Hate to see it die.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by Toxicman 2 months ago

Well, we are about to see how dead this place is.

The registration for the domain expires on Jan 23, 2018!

We may see this site go completely dark in just a few weeks...

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by daymz about 1 month ago

I'm also sad to see an end to this software. Maintenance has been down for half a year at least, during which most fetcher plugins don't even work anymore. I'm obviously not going to renew my membership after many, many years of loyal subscription. It's too bad cuz MetaBrowser simply has been the best product for me for years and years.

Maybe Fatal will open-source it and let others keep it alive ?

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by Toxicman about 1 month ago

That would be great. I’ve always used this app as my main meta management tool. Hate to see it go.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by chooch about 1 month ago

Sad to see this go. I have been using it for years and it was my favorite app. I guess I will have to find something new and will check out TMM and EMBE.

On a side note does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to view your library and play the movies? It seems mostly everything now wants to download all the info automatically and I would prefer to use my movie.xml I created from Metabrowser along with the locally saved folder/backdrop images. I been using media browser within media center for probably 10+ years and while I knows it's very dated I just haven't had time to switch to something newer like Plex or Kodi. I was hoping to find something that could still use the movie.xml to avoid having to start all over again.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by ulrick65 about 1 month ago

chooch wrote:

Sad to see this go. I have been using it for years and it was my favorite app. I guess I will have to find something new and will check out TMM and EMBE.

On a side note does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to view your library and play the movies? It seems mostly everything now wants to download all the info automatically and I would prefer to use my movie.xml I created from Metabrowser along with the locally saved folder/backdrop images. I been using media browser within media center for probably 10+ years and while I knows it's very dated I just haven't had time to switch to something newer like Plex or Kodi. I was hoping to find something that could still use the movie.xml to avoid having to start all over again.

I hear you...not having much luck moving on to something else to be quite honest.

As far as what to replace mediabrowser and media center with, I can offer up what I did. I used it for many years as well. I now have Emby Server running and use Kodi with the Emby Plugin...and could not be happier. It just works and does everything you need it to. Emby is fantastic and gets better all the time. Kodi is rock solid as a player...so marrying the two is just perfect. I use the Titan Skin for Kodi and run it on Nvidia Shields for my two main TV's. We all have our own logins and Emby keeps track of watched lists, etc. for everyone. Works very well. I was running it on Rasberry PI3's...but with the size of my library it started to become an issue. Worked fine for the most part, just wanted a little more power and speed in the interface so I went to Nvidia.

I still use all my movie.xml files and all the original artwork, etc. I have not made the switch to using Emby for that...I just struggle with it as I am such a perfectionist when it comes to all the artwork, data, etc. With the size of my library, it would be a real pain in the arse to switch it over. I currently still use metabrowser to maintain new content...I tried the others, but they just don't hold a candle to it in my opinion. I keep holding out that fatal will update it...or maybe turn it over to public domain.

Good luck.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by chooch about 1 month ago

ulrick65 wrote:

I here you...not having much luck moving on to something else to be quite honest.

As far as what to replace mediabrowser and media center with, I can offer up what I did. I used it for many years as well. I now have Emby Server running and use Kodi with the Emby Plugin...and could not be happier. It just works and does everything you need it to. Emby is fantastic and gets better all the time. Kodi is rock solid as a player...so marrying the two is just perfect. I use the Titan Skin for Kodi and run it on Nvidia Shields for my two main TV's. We all have our own logins and Emby keeps track of watched lists, etc. for everyone. Works very well. I was running it on Rasberry PI3's...but with the size of my library it started to become an issue. Worked fine for the most part, just wanted a little more power and speed in the interface so I went to Nvidia.

I still use all my movie.xml files and all the original artwork, etc. I have not made the switch to using Emby for that...I just struggle with it as I am such a perfectionist when it comes to all the artwork, data, etc. With the size of my library, it would be a real pain in the arse to switch it over. I currently still use metabrowser to maintain new content...I tried the others, but they just don't hold a candle to it in my opinion. I keep holding out that fatal will update it...or maybe turn it over to public domain.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response and I am in a similar situation where I am critical when it it comes to all the artwork and metadata and with the size of my library it would be a real pain to switch over. All my media is on a unraid server I will look into Emby. Does the Emby server or Nvidia do the transcoding? My concern is my sever is not really that robust when it comes to the CPU and MB since I built it just for storage and I worry it could struggle with streaming HD content. So I would prefer whatever device is attached to the TV to do the transcoding like my HTPC currently does now. All my media is HD with the main movie ripped from a Blu-ray to a MKV with zero compression using MakeMKV.

I been wanting to replace my HTPC since it's old but didn't feel like building a new PC because I wanted a smaller footprint. I never considered the Nvidia Shield and that looks promising. I noticed when looking into Emby they have a plugin for PS3 and unraid so if that works then I might not even need a Nvidia Shield. What I really wish is I could just install an app on my PS3 that sees my current library like Media Browser does now, however I haven't had much luck with MKV's and my PS3 in the past.

Is the Emby Server difficult to setup? I seen there is a Emby docker but I haven't had much luck with dockers in the past when I tried Plex's docker for unraid.

Emby can transcode or not...I do not let it. I have the Shield play directly off my server (I have Synology NAS boxes). It streams fine without issues. My son uses his PS4 to watch them off Emby Server sometimes...I think that might use the server to transcode, but I am not 100% sure. I took my old PC (Intel I5 that was my HTPC) and put Ubuntu on it...I run Emby on it, so transcoding is a not a problem for me as that box can handle it...but like I said, the Shield has no problem running whatever I throw at it so far (including 4k supposedly, but I have not tested it yet).

Perhaps you can do the same as I did and convert your HTPC to a media server running Emby (you can do it on Windows if you want, I just prefer Ubuntu as I am used to it and I think its better for this situation). Then use the Shield to put at your TV (it's tiny and my wife was glad to see the old computer box go, even though it was a nice looking wooded one!). As a side benefit, you get everything else the Shield offers...Android system with full 4k capability. Access to Netflix, Amazon Movies, Hulu, and tons of other stuff if you want it. Kodi has tons of plugins as well..but I don't use any of those, just Emby to watch my local content.

Good luck. If you decide to go this route, I am fairly sure you would be happy...I know I have been. Way better then Media Center.

Thanks.

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by fatal about 1 month ago

Hey,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, hope all of you are doing well...real life stuff has needed my attention and I have not been able to fix the issues noted by the users here recently....I will up updating the subscription dates for users for my absence (your metabrowser might need a restart once updated).

Can you guys let me know the issues you are experiencing?

-- IMDb plugin (fixed)
-- Sort Title issue (fixed)
-- Possibility of metadata saving with wrong movie folder (fixed)
-- Adult Fetchers
-- YouTube Fetcher

Take Care

Wow. So glad your back. I hope all is well!

So many issues with the fetchers not populating data anymore, from ratings to plot! I’ll runnthrough it in detail when I get home from work tonight.

I have to say that none of the other meta data managers hold a candle to this app. I’ve had to use them in your absence and the workarounds and other such hoops needed to manage a diverse library just made me appreciate this application so much more.

I sure hope your okay and can find the time to keep this app alive.

Cheers and welcome back. You’ve been missed.

fatal wrote:

Hey,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, hope all of you are doing well...real life stuff has needed my attention and I have not been able to fix the issues noted by the users here recently....I will up updating the subscription dates for users for my absence (your metabrowser might need a restart once updated).

Can you guys let me know the issues you are experiencing?

-- IMDb plugin (fixed)
-- Sort Title issue (fixed)
-- Possibility of metadata saving with wrong movie folder (fixed)
-- Adult Fetchers
-- YouTube Fetcher

Take Care

Awesome! I am so glad you are still alive and kicking and things are OK with you. Also very excited that you are able to put a little time into the app and keep it going. For me, the issues are the ones that you mentioned in your post...the IMDB plugin and the YouTube Fetcher. This has always been, and continues to be, the best metadata app out there. I have been on this thing since you first rolled it out...couldn't figure out what I was going to do if it stopped working all together!

I assume the app will auto update once you have the things fixed and rolled out and nothing needed on our end?

Glad you are back fatal...hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by Aussiedroid@gmail.com about 1 month ago

Thanks so much for the incoming fix for the Sort Title issue Fatal!

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by Aussiedroid@gmail.com about 1 month ago

Fatal,

There was one more thing I came across a few weeks back. I made the change from xml to nfo files over past couple months and noticed in Emby that the Bluray/DVD rips were not showing the metadata. Metabrowser, I believe creates these as a movie.nfo file in the root folder. Under this sits the VIDEO_TS folder etc.

Could not figure out why they were not showing in Emby, but then found this thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43777-creating-new-nfo-files/

It seems that the latest standard for this is to have the nfo file in the VIDEO_TS folder named VIDEO_TS.nfo. And following the link to the Kodi page it suggests that index.nfo is used in the BDMV folder for Bluray rips. Is it possible to align Metabrowser to this latest standard update?

Thanks again,
AD

Fatal, Any idea when the fixes will be available?

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by Theo2thea about 1 month ago

so glad my re-upping was not a waste of time

Please push what fixes you have fatal, we need some relief. Thanks!

License expired as well and no fixes released. Hoping my /(our)/ hopes are not dashed...

RE: Meta<browser/> DEAD AND BURIED - Added by KnowEyeDear about 1 month ago

License renewed, and still no sign of this being reflected within the application.
I do hope that this last little 'pop-in' wasn't just an attempt to generate more income from a dead horse, by promising fixes that will never be forth coming. In legal circles, that has a name, fraud.

Hi Fatal,

Regarding my earlier post on the nfo config for Bluray & DVDs. I've confirmed that for Bluray under Emby, the nfo is named as the folder name under root folder, not as index.nfo under BDMV folder. DVD does work as VIDEO_TS.nfo under the VIDEO_TS folder.

Also another small point, I'm not sure if can be addressed, but it seems Emby doesn't support person.nfo files in the People metadata folder. It does continue to support XML versions though. I tried last night to configure Metabrowser to read my nfo files and do a Process All to only grab the actor details output to XML, but this will also create a copy of the XML data for the movie/show. If I only highlight the actor fields in the Process All then it will not do anything as there is no XML files present & doesn't read the nfo present. I assume as I need to change the saver order to put the XML above NFO that it is processing them as such. I was hoping there might be a way to keep only NFO files for the movie/show data but extract people.xml independently without having to create a XML copy. Not sure if there might be another solution I haven't figured out to allow this?

Do you have any update on the ETA on when the earlier fixes may go live?

Thanks,
AD

I've lost hope at this point...
devastated, and 13 days from now I anticipate this site going down for good.
Fatal, restore our faith, release fixes. Or pass me the source code and I'll setup github project and manage it going forward.

Hey,

I've put out the release with the fixes noted above, please auto-update and let me know...i still need to fix the adult fetchers and youtube (youtube seems to be a lil difficult, i need to figure out what was changed on their end).

For the sort-title fix, you can now uncheck "sorttitle" in the "select fields" dropdown on the main ribbon when you select a movie and it won't fetch populate the sort-title when doing a manual fetch.

As for emby, i think emby is supposed to match/mimic the same format as Kodi (XBMC), and Kodi supports movie.nfo in the root of the movie folder, which supports the bdmv folder as well.

As for the person.nfo, can you explain more, I haven't/don't use Emby (been with Kodi for a long time now).

Take Care

To add,

Am I the only one having issues with downloading TMDb posters/images today? Getting 404 when trying to download images, information works fine.

Take Care

Thanks so much for the update Fatal!

I've just had a quick look for the sort title checkbox but cannot find it. Should this be under the 'Update Fields' button, or do you mean by unticking it by right clicking on the field names in the Information window box?

Regarding the Emby DVD/Bluray setup, I think you are correct that it follows Kodi guidelines. The link I provided previously links through to the Kodi Standards. From my testing, movie.nfo isnt supported. Emby will not recognise it. So it supports Kodi standards but not all variations of it. For DVDs, if I have a nfo file named VIDEO_TS.nfo under the VIDEO_TS folder of the rip it will read it properly. This is one of the default options listed in the Kodi standards from their wiki page. For Bluray, it seems right now it seems to follow the convention listed as folder/filename, so if the movie is in folder named /Star Wars/ the file would be called Star Wars.nfo. I am wondering if a possible solution here to ensure its supported across Emby as well is to have an option in the saver to choose what format to use from the Kodi standards? If using Kodi directly then movie.nfo would be fine as default, but for those using Emby we could choose another default supported by the Kodi standard such as the two version listed above that do work.

Regarding the person.nfo, I was unable to find a way to save my TV/Movie data in nfo format plus have a way to save person.xml file instead of person.nfo. The only way to do this it seems is to save both xml data format & nfo data format files created in the folders. On the testing I was doing, I was trying to get Metabrowser to read my nfo files created previously with the actors, and then via a Process All run, only save the xml data for the person info (rather than in nfo since these are not read by Emby). So I unticked all the boxes in the Process All, and just left the person tab fields ticked. When I process this list, nothing happens, as I assume it is looking for xml tv series or movie data and doesn't find any. If I save xml data then process the same again, it will save the xml person data, but ideally I want to avoid creating these unnecessary duplicate files as they would not be used for anything else (since I have Emby setup to read nfo only). Utimately, I would really like to be able to save my main metadata into nfo format, but also create person.xml files (only person.xml not the tv/movie.xmls) to ensure all data is read in Emby correctly.

Oh and I have seen that a few times with TMDb. It seems to struggle at times, then I try a few hours later and it comes good.

Cheers,
AD

1 2 Next » (1-25/33)